Open Gym for Palisade Basketball

Open Gym for Palisade Basketball
    Mason Menuey

Basketball is one of the most popular and widespread sports in the world. Luckily Palisade High School has an open gym program in the mornings. If you are considering playing basketball this year try making it to one of these open gym events and practice. The most players allowed on a team varies from 12-15, so make sure you attend tryouts for a chance to be on the team. I interviewed a freshman named Lee Amsbury who is debating whether to join the team or not. I asked him some questions about whether he’s been to any open gyms yet why he likes basketball so much and if he thinks he will be able to make the team this year. Lee said “ I have been to one open gym so far but it was in the morning and I’m not a huge fan of waking up early. A big reason I like basketball is that on the surface basketball looks easy but when you go to practice you realize there is a lot more to it than you would think. Also, I am always being asked if I play basketball because of my height so it just makes sense that I would play. I like to hope that I will make the team but there are so many kids with a lot of skill and a lot of kids who have been playing for longer than me but I’m trying to stay determined and keep practicing.” Lee made a lot of good points especially that basketball is a lot more complex than it seems. For all the basketball fans just make sure you practice and go to tryouts for a chance to be on the best basketball team in the valley.