Powder Puff Clouded in Controversy

Kee
    Laurna Lancaster (Senior) squares up against the Juniors

This Tuesday, Palisade kicked off Homecoming week with our annual Powder Puff game. Except this year, the girls would be playing dodgeball instead of kickball for the first time in PHS history. Many controversies among the classes arose from this intense game, but after the smoke cleared, the Juniors emerged with a spirit point.

I went and interviewed the players and coaches before the game, all of them seemed very confident in their ability to win. I spoke to Trevin Brannon, the Homecoming Spirit King and Coach of the Senior’s team, he told me, “You know the Seniors are gonna dominate today, we’re gonna beat the Freshmen first, and then whoever wins between Sophomores and Juniors, we’re taking them down you already know.” Trevin was certainly right about the Freshmen game, the first game of the day, where Seniors took down the Freshmen with ease. The Seniors came out of this game with high confidence, which would only last a few minutes until the beginning of the Juniors and Sophomore game. It was a very tough game, but the Juniors quickly proved themselves dominant, with quick moves and great team chemistry. The Juniors came out with a big win, and began preparing for the big game against the Seniors. 

The game started off extremely well matched, with no clear better team. Each grade was playing very strategically well, but ultimately the Juniors came out on top. It was after this first game that the rest of the school seemed to turn on the Juniors, calling them out for cheating and not playing by the ref’s rules at all. The second game faced a lot of controversy, when the Seniors called a jailbreak a few seconds before the one minute countdown. But the Juniors called one after the countdown, which was against the rules. So even though the Juniors won by points, the refs gave the game to the Seniors. With the overall score being 1-1, it came down to one final game for the Spirit Point. The Juniors came out fierce, but the whole game was so close, at one point both teams being down to just a few players. In the end though, the Juniors won the whole thing, and the whole grade stormed the court, bringing the Juniors to tie with the Seniors in Spirit Points.