National Honors Society Over Labor Day

Parking+spot+numbers+that+NHS+students+helped+paint.++Photo+by+Brielle+Sorensen.+
    Parking spot numbers that NHS students helped paint. Photo by Brielle Sorensen.

While students took off this Monday for labor day, National Honors Society students helped clean up Palisade parking lot. Along with picking up trash, these students took the time to help repaint the numbers in the parking lot. 

These National Honors Society students included Braeleigh MacAskill, Addie Ritterbush and Grace McAnany. They did this from 9 to 11 in the morning and were able to collect these hours to go towards either their individual or group hours for the semester. National Honors Society (NHS) is a nationwide organization for high school students that strives to elevate the culture of scholarship, service, leadership and character. Each semester, these students have to get 30 individual hours, or hours that they earn outside of the school, and 10 group hours, hours they earn within the school. This program looks good on many applications, but aside from the benefits the people who do this program just want to help others. “I enjoy doing things within the community and helping to make the community a better place,” says Braeleigh MacAskill, a junior who helped paint the school parking lot this Labor Day weekend. “The hours are just a number,” she says, “we are doing this to actually help people and the school.” Ms. Kathy, the schools head janitor, was very appreciative of the help she got from these students. Because of NHS and their hard work and dedication to helping make this school a better place, our parking lot looks even better than it did before! If you’re a student at Palisade and interested in NHS, talk to Mr. Kennedy and see what you can do to help make your community a better place