Razorback Sucker Annual Release

Kaleb Wells
Mr. Steele teaching his class

It is that time of the year; the annual release of the fish that Palisade High School owns at our fish hatchery. The fish hatchery project started four years ago. Since its construction was completed in 2021, a new tradition was born at Palisade High School. The fish hatchery’s main objective is to help reproduce endangered fish in Colorado. Since three years ago the endangered fish the hatchery started to help is the Razorback Sucker. Since non-native fish have moved into the Colorado River, the ecosystem has been shifted. This is the primary reason the Razorback population has been declining. This project was started and led by science teacher Mr. Steele. There is one feature about the fish hatchery that makes it so special: “It is all primarily runned by students,” said Mr. Steele.

There are a couple students that have dedicated their time to look after these aquatic creatures. One student has become Mr. Steele right hand man. “He could probably flood it less times than I do,” said Steele hysterically. Kale Pottier has dedicated four years of his high school career on this amazing project. Pottier received recognition at Senior Awards Night for his dedication and even a very wholesome speech that was crafted by Mr. Steele.

This Friday May 3rd, the annual release is happening. Mr. Steele has asked if any students or volunteers would like to help when the release is happening at Riverbend Park. “This amazing thing for the community to do to get back to nature,” said Senior Brady Russel. If any students are interested in helping and want information, go see Mr. Steele. We hope to see you there. Overall, this project really showcases what Palisades moto is all about “think globally, act locally”.