Back-To-Back Champs; Girls Soccer

Hayleigh Wing
Kate Fricke (Left) and Zoe Fenske (Right) Show off their league champion shirts from the 2032 season.

The girls’ soccer team here at Palisade has once again been crowned 4A Western Slope champions. After six long years of waiting and anticipating a league title the girls finally grabbed it in 2023, now in 2024 they are back and better than ever. It has been the first time in program history that the team has won the league title twice. They have had an outstanding year with a record of 7-1-1 in league play and 11-2-1 overall. With seven seniors on the team, they’re planning and leaving with a boom, and that they are. The team has showcased their dedication to the sport and team they play for. They have worked diligently to get where they are today and plan on making even more of an impact. They are now heading to playoffs for the second year in a row and they are out for blood. Getting knocked out the first round of playoffs was not how they wanted to end their 2023 season, so now that it’s a new year they are willing to go as far as possible and plan on making it past the first round with a breeze. Defensive player and Senior, Kate Rizzo added a few more words, “Where we are at this year so far is way above our level last year, everyone works together as a team very well, and although we’ve had our ups and downs I still think this has been one of our better years as a program and it’s only going to get better.” It’s not just the girls putting in maximum effort this season, it’s also the coaches. Coach Raul De Villegas-Decker was only a first-time coach for the team last year but he knew how to lead them to victory, and that he did. Another year coaching the team and he has kicked it up a notch, last year the team’s record was 10-4-2 still a winning record but now that a year has passed the team has developed more and more. Wednesday, May 8th the team will be heading to the first round of playoffs. They have yet to discover who they are playing, but when they do they will be ready. Let’s cheer for our girl’s soccer team bulldogs!!!