New IB Elective!

Nate Perry
Nate Perry

Next year the IB program at Palisade High School is going to implement a new elective for upcoming students. This new Ib elective includes Sports exercise and health science. Students will be doing physical tests to link the world of biology to the world of sports. This class will be taught next year by Mr. Torfin. This new elective is very different from the other elective classes. IB electives that we have as of now include IB film, IB art and IB business. With this new elective being the first science based elective at Palisade.

“ My expectations for it is to provide students with a well rounded aspect of how biology works in the human body to optimize health and say sports performance.” said Mr. Torfin when asked what he is expecting to be the outcome of this new class. This class will be taught in a lab form meaning that the students will be performing multiple projects/labs throughout the year on themselves. This class will test lots of things ranging from breaking down the science of reflexes to why certain students outperform others in certain exercises and what makes these students into the athletes that they are. The course of this class will follow more of a lab then analyze, rather than one you are more used to, like learning for the test, students will have more of a hands on experience as they get to learn about what they are built for, such as the difference between a sprinter and a long distance runner or how some people verticals are higher than others. We are excited to see how this new elective will be next year.