Girl Soccer: First Scrimmage of the Season

Hayleigh Wing
Sophomore Kate Fricke during her off season.

The girl’s soccer season is in full swing this year, with tryouts over and their first scrimmage completed. This past Saturday, March 3rd, our Bulldogs battled the Central High School Warriors at their home turf, Long Family Memorial Park. Both our JV and Varsity teams started their season with a win, ending 2-0. 

The Bulldog’s three-day tryout period is finally over, with all players finding out their team on the fourth day. Practices have begun at either Longs Park to work on shooting, or here at Palisade for more endurance and passing training. 

The team has a wide variety of skill this year, with eight seniors and lots of young talent. Kate Fricke, is an example of this younger talent, as she is a full-time Varsity Sophomore. Fricke has been playing for 13 years. Normally she plays the position of the left wing, but in this scrimmage, she played attacking mid. 

“It was a really good start, we definitely had some rough spots but Central was an easier opponent to face first, so we got to work on our spacing and pacing a little bit,” Fricke explains. 

The first game of any season gives players, coaches, and the whole team a better idea of what is going well and what needs to be improved on as the season progresses. “I think we need to focus on our new formation, and it’s really different for a lot of us so we just need to work it out.” 

The girls go on to play one of our hometown rivals tonight, March 7th. Make sure to pack the stands at CMU’s unity field to watch our Bulldogs take down the Tigers. Good job so far this season, and good luck Bulldogs!