Senior Spotlight: Boys Wrestling

Joey Smith
Julian Tautua’a, Lane Holland, Angelo Guarente, Maddox Caster, Brady Russell, and Trevin Brannon during senior spotlight.

As winter sports have come to an end, so have different sports for some of our fellow Bulldog athletes. Trevin Brannon, Maddox Caster, Lane Holland, Julian Tautua’a, Brady Russell, and Angelo Guarente are six out of the seven seniors on the boys wrestling team who reflected on their wrestling season and more. Titus Steele is the other senior, but unfortunately was not able to make it to the interview. Six of the seniors have been wrestling all four years, with this being Julian’s first year wrestling. 

Trevin started by expressing how their season went in general by saying, “As a team I thought we did really well. We had multiple places at tournaments.” There were many successes throughout their season. The relationships, on the other hand, could have been a little stronger. “At the beginning of the season, a bond was not there as a team, so it was tough,” said Angelo. “Towards the end of the season we grew closer as a team.” Brady added on to Angelo explaining how they grew closer as a team saying, “Realizing we are all going through the same thing.” 

These seniors have gone through so much together, with good days and bad days, but through it all, many memories will be missed. “As much as I complained about it, I am going to miss cutting weight,” said Trevin. “You look good when you cut weight, but now I look fat.” While some of the seniors are going to miss high school wrestling, other seniors are ready to graduate. When asked what he is going to miss, Maddox said “Nothing. I am so ready to graduate and get out of here.” Lane, on the other hand, is going to miss the team bus rides. 

Throughout their high school wrestling career, these boys have learned and have grown so much. Advice Julian would give to an incoming athlete is: “Just have fun.” From experience, Lane would say, “Keep your grades up at least the first two years.” Lastly, Angelo shared advice and said, “Don’t do it for coaches. Don’t do it for other people. Do it for yourself.” Congratulations to these boys on a good season. Their dedication is an inspiration to their fellow peers.