Boys Playoffs

Hunter+Howard+%28left%29+and+LJ+Ballenger+%28right%29+preparing+for+game+day+against+the+Bisons.+Photo+provided+by+Palisade+High+School+Athletics.+
Hunter Howard (left) and LJ Ballenger (right) preparing for game day against the Bisons. Photo provided by Palisade High School Athletics.

Nothing’s more sweet for a team than the victory of making it to the playoffs, the rest is just extra sugar on top of the cake. 

Our own Palisade boys basketball squared off against the Vista PEAK Prep Bison in some playoff action on Wednesday. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs couldn’t keep the heat when it came to the Bisons, but nevertheless lessons were learned and challenges were faced. Although faced with a loss in the first playoff game, our Bulldogs couldn’t take it too hard considering Vista PEAK Prep’s ranking (16th in the state, Palisade is ranked 145th). The ending score was 76 to 35. This loss dropped Palisade’s record down 10-14, but they can’t be mad when they ended a decent season going to the playoffs in the first place. This season was a good one but now it’ll be history, as Coach Cory is already planning for next year’s season. This past season has brought excitement, entertainment, and a new meaning to the word family. “We are more than teammates and coaches, we are a family,” says sophomore Hunter Howard, “we spend multiple hours a day after or before school together practicing, we travel together to compete, we have team dinners, we lose together, we win together, it’s all things a family does.” Hunter has been playing basketball since second grade. He says “the game was a struggle and we were outmatched in size and strength but fought the hardest we all could for 4 quarters.” Hunter will miss Fred and Cyrus, the two seniors on the team. “This year was just a stepping stone to what we’re going to bring to the court next year,” Hunter Howard says. The goal next year is to compete in the South Western League the team will be joining, hopefully receiving a higher seed for the playoffs.  Regardless of this one game’s outcome, the family bond between the team and the other various games they played throughout the season are what made this season a memorable one. Good job boys and congrats to a rewarding season!