Exceptional Phoenix Soccer tournament

Hayleigh Wing
Cy se lleva el balón a la portería para meter goal

In a display of skill and sportsmanship, students from Palisade High School recently participated in the Presidents Day soccer tournament held in Phoenix. The young athletes represented their school and club with pride and determination. The tournament brought together talented teams from across the region, providing an exciting platform for the Palisade High School students to showcase their passion for the game. With teamwork, the players demonstrated their commitment to excellence both on and off the field. I talked to Jack Sechrist who played with the boy’s 2008 year group he and told me, “We prepared in practice by going over tactics, positioning, and techniques that we would use in the tournament. The level was very high, there were a lot of very good teams there from many places. We faced communication problems. One of my favorite moments from the tournament was when one of my teammates scored an amazing free kick in our last game. After the first game, we started playing as a team and our performances improved a lot from there. I loved the experience and the chance to go play soccer in Phoenix and it was a lot of fun, especially with all my teammates.”’ Despite facing tough competition, the Palisade High School students displayed resilience and determination, never backing down from a challenge. We also talked to Jayden Ford who is in the 2007 year group and he told us “Our team prepared by practicing hard every Wednesday and Thursday since December. The competition was some of the highest I’ve seen. We were in the second or third highest bracket so we were playing some skillful teams. The biggest challenge our team faced was having to play two games in one day. We only got like 3 hours in between so we were really tired both physically and mentally. Our team is close, most of us have known each other ever since we were kids so we were constantly helping each other and supporting each other. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. We didn’t exactly get the result we wanted but it was a good experience overall” The team’s participation in the Phoenix soccer tournament showcased their athletic abilities and highlighted the values of teamwork, perseverance, and sportsmanship instilled in them by

Hayleigh Wing

their school. I talked to Hayleigh who is in the Girls 2008 year group and she said “We prepared by focusing on multiple different techniques and aspects of the game during days of our indoor practice. The competition was really good, there were many different ways of playing styles and it was interesting to see different coaching styles. The biggest challenge I think my team faced was staying connected and focused, after we scored or something we would lose focus and not do as well as before. The most memorable moment for us I would say during the first half of our 3rd game, we connected the ball well and had possession that entire half. Our team has good chemistry but it is a newer team with new people on it so we’re all not used to playing with each other yet and I think this affected the way we played. I would say that it prepared me for the high school season coming up, I think it’s a good tournament that helps people experience a higher level of competition.” The student’s achievements on the soccer field reflect the excellence and spirit of Palisade High School, solidifying their place as true ambassadors of sportsmanship and athleticism.