United States Vetoes Cease-Fire In Gaza

Alan Rocha
Israel Location on a map

The Israeli-Palestinian war has been going on for 138 days which is almost half a year and while some people have grown disinterested in the war however there have been updates. The biggest update comes from the un ceasefire resolution Which was voted on by 15 nations in the UN Security Council with a 13-1 vote in favor of the ceasefire. The two important votes that happened were that the United Kingdom abstained and the United States Voted for No.

This singular Vote By the United States ended the resolution as they also vetoed the ceasefire. The United States is only one of the Five nations with this power to veto, the other notable nations being China and Russia. The reason we gave for the veto was that it would interfere with a negotiation deal that would free hostages. They also added that they believed that they could build a better plan for long-lasting peace.

As you can imagine many nations did not agree with the United States Especially the Arab league which was the reason this resolution was passed on to vote it was supported by many arab nations. However not only was it unpopular with Arab nations including Palestine but also with Israel as both nations wanted a ceasefire.

Both parties both agreed that a ceasefire was needed although they said for separate reasons. Palestine argued that they should instate a ceasefire so they could go in and help civilians and provide them with food and water. And Israel said that they also wanted to reduce civilian casualties but added that they needed a ceasefire for their army to regroup.

We hope they can find a proper resolution and can end this war.