Track and Field Returns for Glory

Hank DeFord
Joshua Rodriguez running in the 4×100 meter relay last season.

As Spring approaches it comes time for Track and Field, the ultimate test of athleticism and discipline. This year Palisade Track and Field returns with a larger team and hungry to send as many athletes to State as they can.

Track and Field is one of Palisade’s largest sports and is a combined sport with boys and girls. Last year Palisade sent some girls to state and this year they plan on sending a full bus to state. Track and Field is divided into four different disciplines, sprinting, jumping, throwing, and endurance running. All disciplines compete in a variety of events ranging from the 100-meter dash to the 3200-meter run as well as many other jumping and throwing events like long jump and shot put. I spoke to Lila Huddle who has competed in Track and Field since middle school. She is mainly a Varsity high jumper but also does sprints. “I think Track and Field is one of the best sports because overall it is an independent sport because it is all about your ability, but it is also about teammates and friendship because that’s who you practice and travel with. I’m really confident about this season, I think we’re gonna send a lot of people to state and be very successful overall.” says Huddle. This year Palisades Track and Field team has two new coaches joining the team, Coach Pietroski who coaches the endurance team as well as a new sprints coach who is coming from CMU. “I am kinda disappointed that we won’t have an overnight meet this year, but it’s ok we’ll dominate the Western Slope this year,”  Track and Field will start practicing this Monday and preparing for their first meet March 8th.