Extra Fun and Extra Time at Super Bowl LVIII

Kaleb Wells
Chiefs and 49ers in overtime

The time has come for the Super Bowl. The Kansas City Chiefs went head in head with the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium in Sin City, Las Vegas, Nevada. The game took place on February 11th last Sunday. Kansas won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. San Francisco Started with the ball.  The first quarter was a hard fought first start to the super bowl. Brock Purdy had a really good start. He was able to throw and move the ball. Patrick Mahomes had a very slow start due to the 49ers defense. Nick Bosa, the 49ers’ defensive end, was a huge weapon in the first quarter. The score was 0-0 at the end of the first quarter. 

San Francisco drove the ball down on Kansas and they were able to put points on the board after kicking a field goal. Kansas was able to come back and put a field goal on the board too. The 49ers responded with a crazy play with Debo Sanders throwing a touchdown pass to Christian McCaffrey. The second quarter ended 10-3 with the 49ers in the lead. Kansas City bounced back. What Andy Ried said in the locker room during half-time was unknown, but it unlocked a fire in the Chiefs. Kansas City dropped ten points that included Patrick Mahomes throwing a touchdown. The 3rd quarter ended 13-10 with Kansas in the lead.

The fourth quarter opened with Brock Purdy throwing a touchdown pass to Jenning to get into the lead. The Chiefs dropped two field goals and the 49ers answered back with a field goal. This tied the game, which unexpectedly put the game into overtime. San Francisco won the coin toss and elected to receive. The 49ers drove down the field and kicked a field goal. Kansas got the ball. The dominant offensive was driving against San Francisco. Patrick Mahomes caught Mecole Hardman jr in a flat route scoring a touchdown which gave the Kansas City Chiefs the victory and the champions of the Super Bowl. We were able to get opinions by Palisade students on the Super Bowl. “I really wanted to see San Francisco win the game,” said Junior Owen Dean. “Christian McCaffrey deserved to win a ring.” Junior Star Tautua’a said, “I was honestly 50/50 when it came to the teams. I didn’t care, I just wanted to watch a good game.” With another NFL season coming to end, you only start to wonder who will be in the next Super Bowl?