Girls Basketball vs. Battle Mountain

Addie Ritterbush shooting a free throw.
Addie Ritterbush
Addie Ritterbush shooting a free throw.

Last Thursday February 8th, the Bulldogs took a trip over the hills to crush the Battle Mountain Huskies. The girls had an impressive ending score of 49-11. In the first half, the Bulldogs outscored the Huskies 24-2. Their amazing defense blocked the Huskies from scoring all night, and they played a strong team offense. Junior Addie Ritterbush and Senior Chloe Simons led the team with 14 points each, and Chloe led the team with seven rebounds. Sophomore Sadie Bunker and Ritterbush were a dynamic duo with 4 assists each. “We played really good defense, we rebounded pretty well and got opportunities to try new things,” says Ritterbush. This was a great win for the girls, as it extended their record to 15-6. The Huskies are in the Western Slope League along with the Bulldogs, so this win was huge for the girls to push towards their goal of winning the league. They are 4-0 in the Western Slope League, standing in first place, and have two important games to finish it out. “I’m super excited to play these games and then get into playoffs,” says Ritterbush. If they win, this will be the first time the girls have won league since 2016. Coach Don Bavor was hired in 2022, and brought the Bulldogs out of their losing streak. This year is their first winning record since 2021. The girls have great upperclassmen leadership led by Seniors Chloe Simons and Laurna Lancaster, and Junior Addie Ritterbush. Simons leads the team averaging 16.7 points per game, and Ritterbush leads the team averaging 5.4 rebounds per game. They take on Battle Mountain again Thursday the 15th. Good luck with the rest of the season!!