Palisade High School Film Club: A New Direction

Rosemary Surroz
A golden hour shoot during film club

In a bold and creative move, the Film Club at Palisade High School has decided to part ways with the long-standing Film Exposure Program, facilitated by 970 West at the local library. The program, known for providing young filmmakers with resources, expertise, and a structured environment to explore their cinematic aspirations, has been a cradle for nurturing talent within the school’s budding film community.

However, the winds of change have brought a new era for the members of the Film Club. This split represents a divergence from the established path and a leap toward independence and artistic freedom. The club’s decision to operate autonomously allows members to explore the realms of filmmaking without the constraints and predefined structure of the Film Exposure Program.

Kairi Richardson, a veteran club member, expresses a touch of nostalgia mixed with excitement about this new journey. “I’m a little sad we don’t get to talk to those film experts at the end like we usually do, but I love how much freedom we have now,” says Richardson. This sentiment echoes the mixed emotions felt by many club members who value the expertise and insights provided by the professionals at 970 West but are eager to chart their course.

Braewyn Brown, another seasoned member, shares a sense of optimism and anticipation for what lies ahead. “I’m feeling pretty good, a little unsure about what filming will be like but hopeful. I think it’s good that we get full control over what we’re making, and the scene structure makes more sense,” Brown comments. This reflects a broader consensus within the club — that while stepping away from the familiar territory of the Film Exposure Program may bring challenges, it also opens up a world of possibilities for creative expression and storytelling.

The departure from the Film Exposure Program signifies more than just a change in operational dynamics; it represents a commitment to fostering a more open, student-led environment where the only limits are those of imagination. The club members now have the unparalleled opportunity to fully own their projects, from conceptualization to the final cut, offering a deeper, more personal connection to their work.

The future is indeed bright for the Palisade High School Film Club. With the reins firmly in their hands, the members stand on the cusp of discovering the art of filmmaking and creative freedom.