Boys Basketball vs. Central

Palisades+senior+Fred+Moore+%2811%29+drives+to+the+basket+for+a+layup.+
Keegan Seymour
Palisades senior Fred Moore (11) drives to the basket for a layup.

On Thursday the 25th, although the bulldogs came up just short, they fought hard against the Warriors. In the neck-to-neck game, the bulldogs fell just one point behind in the last 20 seconds. The final score was 37-38. The 9-8 warriors put up a strong battle against the dogs. “It just comes from us growing as a team and figuring out how to close games,” says freshman guard Carter Hayward (3). When asked why he loves basketball, Carter states “you can strive to be the best person you can be, and it builds character.” This Thursday night, both schools had huge student sections to cheer on their schools. The fans were very rowdy in this nail-biting match-up. The bleachers were filled due to this in-town rival game. Junior, LJ Ballenger (13), led the bulldogs with 10 points. “Defensively it was one of our better games,” says guard LJ Ballenger (13).  LJ says he loves basketball because “basketball makes relationships with your teammates more powerful, and it’s kind of like an escape.” Senior, Fred Moore (11), followed just behind him with 8 points. Senior Zack Anderson (33) led the Bulldogs with 7 rebounds in his first game coming back from an injury. Other players who contributed to this tight game included sophomore Hunter Howard (1), freshman Carter Hayward (3), and junior Layne Ruppelius (5). “I think we still have a good chance to win league and get a good seed in the playoffs, that’s our biggest goal right now,” says junior LJ Ballenger (13). Although this was not a league match-up, it was a disappointing loss to an ongoing rival in town. The Bulldogs will join the Warriors in the Southwestern League for the upcoming 2024-2025 season, and face the Warriors twice. On Friday, February 2nd, the boys will host the Durango Demons at 7pm! Goodluck in the rest of your season!!