Senior Night: Bittersweet Goodbyes

The 23′-24′ Wrestling team.

Senior night is an incredibly important part of our Palisade Athletics Department. Every one of our Senior athletes has worked incredibly hard throughout their high school careers, and we feel it is incredibly important to honor and celebrate this uphill battle. 

This past Friday, January 25th, was Senior Night for our wrestling Bulldogs, where they competed in a duel against the Grand Valley High School Cardinals. Palisade took a very exhilarating win, having every Senior competing in a match win, and Palisade taking the win overall. The Cardinals didn’t stand a chance against our 3-0 duel Bulldogs. 

The lineup of Seniors this year includes Maddox Caster, Trevin Brannon, Lane Holland, Brady Russell, Titus Steele, Angelo Guarente, and Julian Tautuaa. The seniors this year helped make the team feel like a family, improving their wrestling and team chemistry. “All the Seniors are really close. When you’re in school with everyone for how long we have been, and you’re in practice with them every day, you get really close,” says Trevin Brannon, a Senior wrestler who has been competing all four years. “They’re some of my best friends”

Senior athletes are incredibly important to encourage our underclassmen and provide advice and tips. “Don’t get discouraged over one loss or one bad day. Keep your head high, and keep moving forward. It’s not about how hard you hit, it’s about how hard you get hit.” Brannon says. 

Our main athletic announcer, Jason Franklin, announced the names of our seven Seniors, and they walked out individually with their family members and friends and were handed a rose. The crowd cheered and camera flashes flickered, each Senior basking in the glory. 

Wrestling season is quickly approaching the end, with only two weeks left until the Regional competition, and three weeks until State.