Winter Assembly: We Love Our Athletes!

Girl swim featured at assembly.

It’s that time of year when all of our winter festivities are upon us. Student sections are packed at every winter sports game, students are soon to be dancing the night away at our spectacular winter formal, and chills and thrills are everywhere. This past Friday, January 12th, our Student Council hosted a winter assembly, featuring an appreciation for our scrappy winter-sport athletes, a rundown of the whens and wheres for our winter formal dance, and different games and activities to add spirit to January. 

To open the assembly, the girls’ and boys’ basketball teams, girls’ swim, and boys wrestling stormed the gym, basking in the glory of the roaring student section. Speech and debate were also asked to stand to recognize their hard work so far this year. These teams of athletes add spirit to this seemingly duller time of year, giving them throughout their season, and spoiling the school with their exhilarating games and matches. 

Following this storm, Senior, Varsity athlete, Cyrus Lawrence, spoke about the upcoming basketball game that night on January 12th. Lawrence reminded the students of the time and the theme and encouraged all to be there.

One of the fan favorites from every assembly is the competitive games and competitions between each grade. This time, StuCo provided a rope and a goal and selected volunteers from each grade to compete in a ruthless game of Tug-O-War. The freshmen and Sophomores then Juniors and Seniors competed in a bracket-style, with a final game of Sophomores and Seniors.

Another game featured in this assembly was a game of Play It Safe or Risk It All. Each student received one to two raffle tickets and winners got the chance to choose between a set of unknown prizes, to either win big or lose hard. Prizes consisted of a drone, a picture of Mr. Kennedy, crazy socks, and a few different gift cards.

Assemblies like this wouldn’t be possible without our lovely team of StuCo members. Junior Treasurer Will Neese and Senior Vice President Izzy Meyer were in charge of setting up and running this assembly. “It was a lot of just outlining the stuff that we wanted to do and practicing the transitions between speakers. The games were also very thought out.” Neese says. “Mr. Smith helped us come up with a lot of the prizes, and a lot of different members came up with a few of them.”

The assembly concluded with an announcement from Sophomore Class President Ian Shiao, to inform the school of the details surrounding our Winter Formal dance this year. “As sophomore class president, I had to book the venue, me and my class came up with decorations, buy them online, call food trucks, I had to make the tickets, and I had to create a sheet for ticket sales,” Shiao says. “It’s February 3rd, from 7-10 pm at Lincoln Park Barn. The theme in Van Gogh’s painted memories. Make sure to be there!”

View Comments (1)