Where’s Our White Christmas?

Picture taken last year on December 18, 2022. The grounds were covered in Snow. Picture provided by Nevaeh Awbery

As the days grow colder and winter approaches, there is still no sign of snow as we approach Christmas. The absence of this familiar white blanket that typically adorns our surroundings during this time of year leaves a sense of anticipation and curiosity in the air. It’s as if nature itself is holding its breath, waiting for the first snowflake to fall and transform the landscape into a magical winter wonderland. Although it has snowed roughly about two times this month, Grand Junction usually has snow by now. 

The lack of snow has both its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, it allows for easier commuting and less hassle when it comes to daily activities. No icy roads or slippery sidewalks mean fewer accidents and an overall safer environment. However, on the other hand, many people long for the charm and beauty that only snow can bring. The absence of snowflakes gently falling from the sky leaves a void in our hearts, causing us to miss out on traditional winter activities like building snowmen, having snowball fights, or simply enjoying a peaceful stroll through a snowy park. In an interview with Nevaeh Awbery, she said, “I like not having the snow because it’s not as cold but it feels less like Christmas because of it. I just hope it snows before or on Christmas day, to make it a White Christmas.”

Despite the lack of snow, there is still hope that winter will eventually grace us with its presence. As we wait patiently for those first delicate flakes to descend from above, we find comfort in knowing that nature works in mysterious ways. Perhaps this delayed arrival of snow is just nature’s way of reminding us to appreciate every moment and savor each season as it unfolds. And when the snow finally does come, it will be all the more cherished and enjoyed by everyone who eagerly awaited its arrival.