Palisade Wrestling Recap

Mason Menuey
Wrestler Kaleb Baker during his match at Montrose

The Palisade boys wrestling team had a tournament called the Western Slope Showdown hosted in the Montrose activity center. The tournament was two days long. This means the wrestlers could decide whether to get a hotel room and stay in Montrose for the night or would have to come back to Grand Junction around 9 PM and be ready around 6 AM to get back on the bus for an hour long bus ride. The wrestler Teagan Young placed second in his weight bracket. 

I interviewed Young about his experience and here’s what he had to say, “Wrestling is an exciting sport and it could be hard if you don’t put in the work and show up to practices. Everyone thinks wrestling is all about strength but one of the key things about wrestling is technique because if you do not know the technique you won’t know how to do things like takedowns and cradles you won’t be able to get any points you may get lucky but if your opponent is skilled then you will need to know what to do.” I also interviewed Trevin Brannon who wasn’t able to wrestle due to an injury. “I wish I could have wrestled that weekend but I also know how tiring a two day tournament can be. It is not just the wrestlers because you have to remember that coaches get up at the same time and help out the team so much every day whether it is teaching a new takedown or just helping a wrestler with his grades wrestlers are all grateful for the coaches.” Palisades boys wrestling team with have their next tournament on December 14 at Grand Junction High School. The event will begin at 6:00 PM so if you plan on going make sure to show your support for the Palisade wrestling team.