Israeli-Hamas Truce

Palisade+Campus
ka
Palisade Campus

The war between Israelis and the Hamas terrorist organization has started a “temporary” truce from the fighting. The purpose of the truce is to trade hostages and prisoners from each side. Israel has released over 31 palestinian women and children while Hamas has released 60 hostages which mostly contain women and young children. The war between both sides started when Hamas launched a large-scale attack on October 7, 2023 the attack was unprecedented. This led to the death of over 1200 civilians which were mostly children. There was an extension on the truce that has expanded for another two days. More hostages and prisoners were released. 

The reasoning for Hamas invasion they declared that there was “long building anger” with Israeli policy and the treatment of palestinians. The roots of this conflict had sparked over 75 years ago which led to the founding of Hamas in 1987. The United States has recognized Hamas to be a terrorist organization since 1997. Hamas is supported by Iran and use terrorist like tactics such kidnappings and suicide bombings.  The Israeli military objective is to take back control of Gaza. Hamas has used the Gaza Strip to launch aerial bombings throughout Israel.

The overall attacks are very devastating. Especially since Hamas intentionally targets women and children either by kidnapping or killing them. We got some insights on how some Palisade High School students feel about the situation “The only way to describe it is terrible. I feel horrible for the families losing their children and loved ones.” said junior Skyley Caswell. “I wish the situation can be resolved on both sides. All the blood shed can come to an end once and for all.” said sophomore Madison Gray. Very sad situation for children that were taken in this war. We hope soon it can be over.