Powderhorn Opens for the Season

Hank DeFord
Powderhorn last weekend with great conditions.

Powderhorn Mountain Resort officially opened their doors and started their lifts last Friday the 24th just in time for the Thanksgiving weekend. With the crisp air and fresh snow, it made for an amazing start to the season. 

Powderhorn has 26 inches of snow at the base and 7 out of their 57 runs are open. Their snowmakers work around the clock to continue to open runs as the season continues. The only two lifts open at the moment are the Flat Top Flyer and the Magic Carpet. No matter the conditions, the skiers and snowboarders of the Grand Valley are excited to get the best season of the year started. I spoke to some Palisade skiers and snowboarders to ask them about opening weekend. “I ski, I have been since I was three, I didn’t go up opening weekend but I plan to next weekend,” says Kate Fricke, “Powderhorn’s my favorite resort because the lift lines aren’t too long and it’s close to home, it’ll be way more fun once the West End lift opens cause that’s where all the fun runs are. But for now, I’ll take what I can get with Bill’s Run and Maverick.”

For all the members of the ski and snowboard club here at Palisade who ordered season passes through the school, you can pick them up at the ticket office at Powderhorn and start skiing and snowboarding right away. This season is set to be an amazing ski season with plenty of snow and great conditions. Go hit the slopes bulldogs!