Powderhorn Mountain Resorts Prepares for Winter

Hank DeFord
Wyatt DeFord and Ezra Noble shredding the gnar.

As the weather continues to get colder, many start to think of Thanksgiving break or Christmas season, but lots start to think about arguably the best part of the year: ski and snowboard season. 

Over the past few weeks Powderhorn Mountain Resort has had several big snows accumulating a couple inches. As the weather is now cold enough, Powderhorn has started up their snow makers and has began filling the slopes with snow for the season.  It is projected that this year will be a good year for snow similar to last year. Powderhorn is set to open November 24th this year but that is subject to change based on the weather and snowpack. In addition more winter hype has been building in the school because of Mr Torfin’s ski and snowboard club registration having been due this week. The club will take several trips up to Powderhorn this year and possibly a trip to Sunlight Mountain Resort. I talked to Cy Hobbs a Palisade freshman and avid snowboarder. “I love snowboarding so much, it’s the best part of winter,” says Hobbs, “I’ve been snowboarding since I was a little kid and it’s a big part of my life,”. Hobbs plans to go up to Powderhorn opening weekend and very frequently throughout the season. “Snowboarding is great cause it’s so fun to shred with friends and family, my favorite terrain to ski is the terrain park,”. Terrain parks are made up of built jumps and rails. Hobbs says, “So excited for this season, hoping for good snow and a fun time.”