Softball Senior Spotlight

Softball+seniors+%28left+to+right%29+Melanie+Valdez%2C+McKayla+Moreland%2C+and+Macy+Beilman.+Photo+provided+by+Macy+Beilman.+
Softball seniors (left to right) Melanie Valdez, McKayla Moreland, and Macy Beilman. Photo provided by Macy Beilman.

This year was the last and final time 2024 seniors pitched and played on the softball field. The trio of seniors has many things to say regarding their high school journey and their last softball season. We interviewed 2 of the senior players individually to hear more about their softball journey, this past season, their time in high school, and their plans for the future. 

Macy Beilman 

#15

Regarding her high school experience, Macy Beilman immediately said, “Oh my gosh, it went by so fast!” She’s played softball for 12 years and played 2 years, junior and senior year, in high school. She played JV her junior year and Varsity all of this year. Her position is left or right field, which means she receives and catches the outfield balls. “Depending on who you ask, this year wasn’t top tier but I still enjoyed the memories we made,” says Macy, “but I still enjoyed it because I was one of the three top dogs.” Outside of softball, she competes in powerlifting and is second in state and sixth in the nation. Her plans after high school include joining the Army where she plans to pursue a career as a combat medic specialist. “It’s very bittersweet,” she says regarding her senior year and her last softball season, “but I’ve enjoyed every bit of it.” 

Melanie Valdez 

#22

“Sophomore season was my personal favorite but they were all great in their own ways,” says Melanie Valdez. She played 5 years of softball in total and has participated in all 4 years in high school on Varsity. She plays third, first and pitcher. Her favorite is third where she plays in the infield. Her plans after high school include moving out to New Mexico and seeing what colleges are out there. Softball is also an option if she finds a college she loves. She hopes to pursue a career in special education or business. “Softball is my favorite sport, it’s the only sport I play.” She said she’s scared but also excited to see where her life will bring her after high school.