Dog Days

A dog having fun at the pool Provided by: Cameron Kirkegaard

Florence And The Machine might have said “The dog days are over” but they’re just getting started here in Grand Junction. On September 10th Grand Junction had their 19th annual Dog Day. As the summer heat begins cooling down and the smell of pumpkin and spice fills the air it’s time to wrap up outdoor swimming, but not for the dogs! During this time of year, pools open up for people to bring their dogs. The dogs get to show off their skills by fetching, diving, and paddling. Sophomore Iris Rath stated, “I think this could be a really good experience for both owner and dog. The dog gets to socialize with other dogs and the owner gets to meet new people.” Due to health concerns, owners are not allowed to swim with their dogs, but that doesn’t mean they can still have a fun time with others and their dogs. Rath added, “I think everyone who owns a dog should bring them to the dog days at the pool at least once.” With all the money earned it will go to the Roice-Hurst Humane Society as well as the Billy Crawford Memorial Scholarship Fund. The memorial fund will go towards lifeguards who are pursuing a higher education. Canines under 25 pounds had their own time to swim from 10-11, but then after that, any dog of any size could swim until three. This year was super successful and helped out the fundraisers tremendously. Hopefully next year it will be just as successful. Thank you to all who went!