D51 White Ice Dance

Scott Davis

A local band of artists performing at the celebration.

This Saturday, teachers and educators who work in District 51 gathered for the 11th annual White Iced Celebration. The dance was held in the CMU ballroom at 7:00 o’clock in order to honor White Ice Award recipients and Outstanding Academic Growth Schools. Perhaps the most unique part of the celebration is the required white-attire. “I love contributing and being a part of this annual celebration,” says Sarah Shrader, owner of Bonsai Design who has been sponsoring the dance for multiple years. There were many sponsors around the valley for the event including FCI Constructors, Inc., MBC Grand, Red Rock Auto Group, and many more. The White Iced Award Recipients included Diana Velasco (East Middle School), Jennifer Laase (Orchard Avenue Elementary), Jodee Cronk (Grand Junction High School), Megan Henry (Independence Academy), Sandra Patrick (Tope Elementary), Scott Hittle (Mesa View Elementary), and Lora Quesenberry (New Emerson Elementary). There were over 50 nominations submitted for this year’s White Ice Awards for the areas of impacting academic growth and achievement, contributing to a community or school, and showing leadership. The awards for Outstanding Academic Growth Schools include all principals from various schools in the valley including Cinnamon Cain (Dos Rios Elementary) and Vernann Raney and Mary Biagini (Taylor Elementary) for Elementary Primary Reading (K-3). Elementary Intermediate Reading (4-5) include Randy Foster (Lincoln OM Elementary) and Nicole Wimsatt (Loma Elementary). Elementary Math includes Ben Alexander (Scenic Elementary) and Dave McCall (Chatfield Elementary). Middle School Reading went to Nikki Johnston from Mount Garfield Middle School. Middle School Math went to Jory Sorensen from Redlands Middle School. High School PSAT 9 went to Jason Plantiko from Fruita 8/9. High School PSAT 10 went to our very own Dan Bollinger from Palisade High School. Lastly, High School SAT was awarded to Todd McClaskey of Fruita Monument High School. The D51 Foundation worked with the D51 Assessment team to identify these schools that were awarded. Congratulations to recipients who won awards and everyone who contributes to the school district!