Female Athlete of the Week: Shaelyn David

Shaelyn David, the Female Athlete of The Week

Provided by: Shaelyn David
Shaelyn David, the Female Athlete of The Week Provided by: Shaelyn David

Palisade Junior, Shaelyn David, is the female Athlete of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. David plays tennis, where she is currently playing at the 3Doubles spot with her partner, Annabelle Carter. “I have been playing tennis for three years now,” said David. “I started playing tennis because I wanted to try out a new sport.” David came into tennis ready to learn and grow. She has been playing on varsity since her Freshman year and has qualified for state both her Freshman and Sophomore years. “I had never played a sport that you play using a racquet, it has always been volleyball, swimming, and stuff like that,” said David. “It really took me by surprise because I thought that I wouldn’t be good at it and instead I thought I would just completely keep missing the ball.” This took a turn as David has seen quick growth and development in tennis. 

Along the way, there have been challenges, but nothing too difficult for David. “This year, when Annabelle and I played Fruita for the first time, it was a real nail biter,” said David. “It came down to the very end where we really had to push ourselves.” David’s and Carter’s hard fought win truly paid off as it helped get the team win against Fruita. With the help of fellow teammates, David has been able to expand her skills in tennis. “I look up to two of the seniors on the team, Tsifira and Alexis,” said David. “They actually kind of taught me how to play tennis.” Not only have these teammates helped her grow, but they, as well as others, have helped her come to love the sport. “I like the team environment,” said David. “I have never had any drama with tennis whatsoever. It is a very fun sport that you can play for the rest of your life.” The time and effort David puts into tennis is a standing point of her progress and success in the sport. Congratulations Shaelyn David on Athlete of the Week!

“Don’t take it so seriously. Just have fun and give it your all.”

— Shaelyn David