Male Athlete of the Week: Ian Shiao

Ian Shiao, the Male Athlete of The Week

Provided by: Ian Shiao
Ian Shiao, the Male Athlete of The Week Provided by: Ian Shiao

Palisade Sophomore, Ian Shiao, is the male Athlete of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Shiao swims the 500 freestyle and the 100 breaststroke. “I started swim when I was in 7th grade,” said Shiao. “The main reason why I wanted to do it was because I wasn’t doing anything else outside of school and I wanted to get fit, which is great because swim is a very great cardio exercise. I love cardio, as well as running, so that is why I wanted to get into swimming.” Along with that love for cardio and desire to be fit also comes dedication. “The discipline draws me in, as well as having to have that mentality going into every single practice,” said Shiao. “You can’t have a negative mind-set, so it has made me a lot stronger, physically and mentally.” 

Other than swimming, Shiao is involved in various school activities here at Palisade High School. He is a part of the National Honors Society, Student Council, and he is a Development of Great Students mentor. “I have met so many fun and cool people through the clubs I am involved in,” said Shiao. “I love the community and getting to know people a lot more on a personal level.” With the experience of having a leadership role here at school, Shiao has also been able to set forth those qualities to his teammates as he is a current team captain. Shiao’s commitment to his sport and teammates proves his hard work and the growth he has had. His dedication and diligence is what makes him the great leader and athlete he is today. Congratulations Ian Shiao on Athlete of the Week!

“Try your best and always have a positive mind-set. So much about sports is a mental game and not just a physical game. As long as you have that positive mentality then you will be able to grow a lot.”

— Ian Shiao