Female Athlete of the Week: Lilly Preston

Lilly Preston doing what she loves. Photo provided by Lilly

Palisade Senior, Lilly Preston, is one out of two female Athletes of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Preston plays golf and has been playing it for three years now. “I was initially playing with my family a little bit over the summer and it became really fun,” said Preston. “My grandpa, who passed away when I was really little, also used to play golf a lot. Picking it up brought me a little closer to him and it is something that I can share with him, even though he is not here anymore.” Preston has been drawn to the connection of the sport. “I enjoy getting to meet so many new people from different schools. It is super fun when we get to come back together because it is like, ‘I have played with you before!’ I love the team aspect with other teams.” Preston is also motivated by those around her to succeed in golf. “My family motivates me, as well as my grandpa. My biggest inspiration that helps me keep going is to do it with family and it keeps me connected with people.”

While golf is an individual sport with an individual competitiveness, Preston feels that this is not her way of playing. “I don’t really have a competitive drive with other people,” said Preston. “I feel like I am more of a ‘picking you up’ and ‘helping you’ kind of person.” Her style of  leadership has been followed by big achievements in golf. “Some of my biggest accomplishments have been growing to know myself and how I play in the sport,” said Preston. “My Sophomore year was just really kind of getting a hang of the ropes and how the sport works and what to do. Now it has been a really big accomplishment in just understanding how I play and knowing myself.” Preston’s encouragement to her teammates and those around her proves the motivation and dedication she puts into golf. Congratulations Lilly Preston on Athlete of the Week! 

You have to have a drive to play golf. If you are joining Freshman or Sophomore year that is when you learn the ropes of the game. Have fun with it. It is so easy to get down on yourself if you are not playing well. Give yourself some grace and you can always come back to it.

— Lilly Preston