Police Crash CHS Winter Formal

Jonathan Vazquez
Palisade Police Overlooking the School

On February 24, 2024, Central High School held its winter formal. The party was going well until an announcement was made about one hour into the event. The announcement stated that the party was being shut down and that there would be DUI checkpoints at the exit. Many students had sneaked in alcoholic substances and were drinking them during the dance, leading to several students getting drunk. However, the Mesa County Sheriff’s office was not actually conducting DUI checkpoints, they were just flashing flashlights at students as they left.

I spoke with some CHS students who wished to remain anonymous. They revealed that many students were taking shots during the dance. A shot is a small serving of spirits or a mixed drink, usually consumed quickly, often in a single gulp. Many students were doing this, and after the dance was over, teachers and officers found over 30 shots on the dance floor, indicating that many students had been drinking during the event.

This incident has added to Central High School’s bad reputation, and it is unclear how the school’s staff and administrators will fix this to make the high school look better to the public.