Senior Spotlight: Band

Band seniors during practice. Photo taken by Ave Fricke

This week we were thrilled to interview some of the senior band kids. Out of the 15 seniors in band (aside from color guard), we were able to interview five of them. Ava Fricke is one of the two drum majors, Max Warren and Diana Shelp are both field captains, and Isabella Miller and Titus Steele are section leaders. These seniors shared with us their highlights from the season, memories and more.

A team sport is so much more than just showing up for your part. It is about the connections and the work you actually put forth to make it an effective team, as well as the memories that are made. “Working as a team, building our leadership and making it a fun season for everyone to enjoy has been my highlights,” said Miller. “I enjoyed fire truck day,” said Steele. “A fire truck comes and shoots water at us.” Warren added, “It was like that Thursday of band camp.” Steele added off of Warren, “It happens in the last week of July and we all go to kind of get a feel of it and introduce some freshmen.” Fricke shared her memories from the season. “My favorite memory from the season was at finals. It was really cold and snowing the day before. I’d go out for a major retreat and I was physically shaking the whole time. It was not fun but it was for the memory.” Lastly, Miller shared her favorite memories and said, “Meeting all of the freshmen and just making friends.” 

Diving into their season in general, these seniors shared how it went, as well as strengths and weaknesses. “I thought the season went a lot better than expected,” said Fricke. “We’ve put in a lot of hard work and we’ve improved a lot as a band.” Shelp added, “I feel we would definitely sometimes get a little overwhelmed with all of the stress of it, which was not good. We had to work hard to get that enthusiasm back.” “We needed to stay silly,” added Fricke. “Me and the other drum major, Owen, would always play warm up songs and one day I played Gangnam Style three times in a row.” 

These seniors have made so many memories that will last a lifetime. Steele shared what he will miss and said, “The support and community that was offered through the band.” Followed by Fricke saying, “I am going to miss Mr. Marshall. That guy is awesome.” Congratulations to all of the seniors on a great last year of band. They will be missed by their fellow band members and more. Great season Senior Bulldogs!