Palisade students tap into ‘White Christmas’

Siena+Miller+%28%E2%80%9826%29+and+Blake+Larson+%28%E2%80%9825%29+at+rehearsal.+%0APhoto+provided+by+Siena+Miller.+
Siena Miller (‘26) and Blake Larson (‘25) at rehearsal. Photo provided by Siena Miller.

Rehearsals for this year’s musical have been in full swing since September. As the bitter winter creeps in on us, so does opening night for ‘White Christmas’. Each rehearsal allows students, band members, stagehands, and directors to perfect their craft and make the production even better than the last. Through everyone’s persistence and work ethic, the audience will be dazzled with the complex dance numbers, cheerful holiday spirit, and impressive instrumentation by Palisade’s orchestra. 

Sophomore Siena Miller is a member of the Aria choir, Popular Acclaim show choir, and the ‘White Christmas’ cast. After seeing ‘Once Upon a Mattress’ last year, Miller felt compelled to audition this year. Many factors contributed to the heightened interest in the musical for Miller and other students. They include connections to the choir, theater, and band department, past shows and select talents such as tap dancing being in demand. Miller says, “It’s such a great experience. The theater community is so friendly and I feel so welcomed, especially because this is my first time. It is stressful because this play is a lot to live up to.” Being a part of a big production awards plenty of individual responsibility and tests one’s determination. “Considering all the late night rehearsals and stress, we’ve been able to keep our spirits up. In the long run, it will turn out great,” admits Miller. The cast for ‘White Christmas’ is packed with Bulldog talent, “There are four leads this year; Teagan Brannan (‘25), Alivia Sanchez (‘24), Solomon Brown (‘24), and Serena Flanigan (‘24). Their acting skills are really amazing. It’s fun being in the ensemble because I get to watch what I can grow into,” expresses Miller. 

Sophomore Diego Villa-Valenzuela has been involved in all types of band for more than five years. This is his first year playing in the pit orchestra. “It’s really fun. It’s different from a regular band because we have to follow the actors’ speed as well as the conductor. The tempo fluctuates constantly in the musical so it’s a struggle that everyone in the pit works to overcome.” 

If you are interested in helping backstage, constructing props, playing in the pit orchestra, contact Ms. Doctor, Ms. V, Mr. Doty, or someone involved in the musical already. Miller concludes, “We’ve had build days every Saturday from 9a.m.-3p.m. since September to make sure our props are professional and detailed to accentuate the show.” However, the theater department is always looking for extra hands and would appreciate your help deeply. 

Our bulldogs are showcasing their talent in a spirit-filled production of ‘White Christmas’ on December, 7th, 8th, and 9th. Come support the talented cast!