Paw Post Movie Insider: Priscilla

Elvis+and+Priscilla+Presley%2C+Aladdin+1967.+Credit%3A+%40Dan+Perry+on+Flickr.+
Elvis and Priscilla Presley, Aladdin 1967. Credit: @Dan Perry on Flickr.

Fashion speaks more than words in Sofia Coppola’s (Lost in Translation, Marie Antonitte) new film Priscilla, sharing the story between rock ‘n roll icon Elvis Presley and his courtship with Priscilla. 

But the fashion styles, aesthetics, and cinematography were the only things this biopic was able to deliver. My job as the Head Paw Post Movie Insider Reviewer is to give my utmost honest opinion, and I want to rip this movie apart. The film was adapted from Priscilla Presley’s 1985 memoir “Elvis & Me,” in which she shared her almost unimaginable life up close and personal with the King of Rock N’ Roll. The relationship could be defined as complicated: they met in 1959 when Priscilla was only 14 years old and Presley was 24. They met in Germany where Priscilla’s parents were stationed and where Presley was serving in the Army. This was the start of something more than a friendship, something deeper. From her memoir, Priscilla clarifies multiple times throughout that novel that the relationship between her and Elvis wasn’t grooming, it was real, true love. This was a complete miss in the film that they didn’t clarify, ending up giving Elvis an image of a pedophile. There’s nothing I despise more than a biopic that has inaccurate details full of lies, and this was one of them. Focusing on Elvis’ bad traits, the film seemed like a call to push down Elvis Presley, only sharing the bad things he did and never the good. I think if a biopic should be created, at least get the correct facts. But what triggers me the most wasn’t just the relationship portrayed, but also the way the story was laid out. The film ends with Priscilla jumping into her 1963 Chevrolet Corvair when she leaves Elvis. Somber music plays in the background as the screen suddenly cuts to the credits. I was, to say the least, unimpressed. This seemed to me like an obvious example of lazy writing. As an Elvis fan, this movie was a major let down that I can’t even begin to explain how disappointed it left me. The only good things I could find in it were the cinematography and fashion sense, but without that this movie wouldn’t even have one star. This film is a broad example of how getting your facts wrong can leave a lasting impression and how a bad movie can leave a new reputation on a director (Sofia Coppola). 

Stars: 1/5