Taylor Strikes Back

Gaby Suazo
Annalisa Bradley and Hailey Shackelford smiling after the album drop.

Pop sensation and international figure Taylor Swift released her 11th studio album on April 19. The double album; The Tortured Poets Department released at 12 a.m. and The Anthology at 2 a.m. is a collection of 31 songs highlighting the typical heartbreak, unburied beef, and self awareness. 

From the very beginning with “Fortnight” featuring Post Malone, Swift introduces repetition to enhance the frantic yearning and pining for dreams such as ‘I love you, it’s ruining my life.’

Swift incorporates her dreamy vocals and synth pop instrumentals heavily in this album. This reminded listeners of her folklore and evermore, released during the pandemic. Sophomore Hailey Shackelford agreed, “I was not surprised about the vibe of the album. I knew it was gonna be folklore 2.0.” Most of the songs encapsulate reflection and dwelling on heartbreak. Especially in “So, Long London” and “The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived”, it’s like we are surfing through Swift’s private diary. Sophomore Annalisa Bradley agrees that the songs from The Anthology were especially relatable.

Lyrically, the emotions are portrayed as cathartic and raw. However, sonically it was underwhelming. Producer Jack Antonoff has worked with Swift for more than ten years. He has supplied her with catchy tunes and an immeasurable amount of fame. Yet some critics claim that Antonoff is sabotaging her. The complexity of her words do not match the overused mixes and drum beats. This stripped away some of the speciality each Taylor Swift album gives listeners, whether it’s Swifties or not. Shackelford admits, “There were a few songs that I couldn’t get on board with but ultimately I enjoyed everything.”

Looking at it from a different perspective, The Tortured Poets Department was not meant to be a chart topping album. Swift released her past toxicity behind with tracks dedicated to exes Joe Alwyn, Matty Healy and frenemy Kim Kardashian. “It did not disappoint,” Shackelford concludes.