Iran Launch Missiles at Israel

Looking up at the dark sky
Alan Rocha
Looking up at the dark sky

World War Three was trending on Twitter last Saturday night. Although that would bring up obvious concerns, should we really be worried? This was trending because minutes before Iran launched missiles and drones into Israel. This was the first time Iran fired missiles into Israel which caused concerns for an escalation of war.

Iran launched these attacks due to them suspecting that Israel attacked their consulate in Damascus Syria. These attacks were popular in many Muslim nations including Hamas-controlled Palestine and Iran. However, almost none of the missiles reached Israel due to Israel’s Iron Dome defense System and allied help which included the United States and Saudi Arabia. During the Barrage only one casualty happened which was of a 7-year-old Bedouin girl who was hit with shrapnel from a missile.

The war which started in October has been going on for almost half a year and has seen many peace talks to end it or at least have a ceasefire. Iran is a theocratic Shia Muslim state and has many allies that are aligned with their radical views. Two big allies are China and Russia who are allied with them not because they have a shared worldview but because they have a shared enemy in the USA. The United States has had a major role in the Middle East since the end of World War Two. Because of that many nations in the Middle East have seen them as a force of evil in the area that only seeks their rescuers. And Israel although a small nation has gone to war with other Muslim nations many times and has one most of them practically by itself.

Although not directly influencing us in Palisade ,we can still feel worried about our future seeing as we are the ones who are going to be left to experience it. Jesse Thompson, a Junior ,said that “this is kind of worrying cause it could get the United States involved”. If the USA did get involved many teens worry about being drafted like what happened in the Vietnam War, although rare. “I don’t know if i would get drafted or not”.

Let’s all hope that Israel doesn’t increase tensions and that the war can come to an end.