Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Kaleb Wells
Beautiful Colorado Sky

Horrific news from Baltimore. A cargo ship hit Francis Key bridge in the early morning of March 26 at 1:30am. The cargo ship lost its power which caused it to ram into one of the bridge’s support beams. Parts of the bridge plunged into the river below it and parts were on the ship. Six people have gone missing and are presumed dead from the incident. All six were people who worked for the construction on the bridge to fill in potholes.

The whole entire incident was all caught on CCTV cameras that were recording the bridge. The authorities barely had enough time to react to stop more people from crashing into the river. Eventually the whole bridge was evacuated. Divers were sent into the water but the search was put on pause due to weather conditions. Eventually, the divers were put back into action. After six days, two bodies of the construction workers were found. The search for four others are still going on. Authorities are using solar maps to see the debris from the bridge for their search.

State Senator Johnny Salling gave a speech about the incident. He reported on the logistics and concluded that it will devastate the economy of Maryland and hurt it for months. The river the bridge was over is called Patapsco River. It is a viable cargo trading river. This will stop a lot of imports and exports. We were able to interview students who have heard about the incident to get their views about it. “Geez, I couldn’t imagine the horror of being on that bridge. I just feel sad about the families” said Senior Mackayla Moreland. “I saw the video and it looked like a movie. It literally just collapse” said Brady Russel. From the Paw Post our hearts are out for the people affected from the incident.