Girls Golf: A Promising Start

Sophomore+Mallory+Brownell+at+Chipeta+Golf+Course.+
Jackson Martin
Sophomore Mallory Brownell at Chipeta Golf Course.

The girl’s golf season is in full swing, with four varsity tournaments completed. Palisade’s huge tournament, the Chipeta Kick-Off Classic was hosted on their home course on Monday, March 11th. The varsity returners played stroke play with the Freshman and newcomers playing in a team scramble. Palisade took sixth at this tournament, with Junior Mari Burnham placing 11th individually with a final score of 85. 

The girls practice every day at Chipeta Golf Course located in Orchard Mesa from 3:45 pm to 5:30 pm. Every Wednesday the team plays a qualifier round on nine holes to determine who plays the upcoming tournaments in the following week.

Following the Kick-Off, the varsity golfers played at the Fruita Invitational at Lincoln Park Golf Course on Thursday, March 14th. Head Coach Jan Dentonnorell brought three scramble teams to this tournament to ensure that all players were getting lots of tournaments under their belts as the season progressed.

On Thursday, March 28th the girls traveled to Devil’s Thumb in Delta, Colorado. The Bulldogs hosted the tournament, competing against seven other schools. Palisade took fourth at this tournament, with Senior Natalie Flint placing 8th overall with a final score of 103. “I know this tournament was kind of a rough day for all participants, but I’m really proud of our team for going out and trying,” Flint states. The 7176-yard course is definitely a challenge, but an incredibly fun and technical round. “The cliffs and bunkers were definitely a struggle, but I also think they made the round more fun and interesting,” says Flint. 

Finally, on April 1st the varsity Bulldogs played at the Tiger Invitational at Bookcliff Country Club. Palisade placed 7th as a team, with Junior Mari Burnham placing 6th overall with a score of 88. 

The girls have many more tournaments to come this season but are off to a great start getting lots of courses under their belts. They travel to Cobble Creek and Black Canyon next week, April 8th and 9th. Good job so far Bulldogs, and good luck!