Season Opener: Welcome Back Boys Swim

Sophomore+Ian+Shiao+and+Freshman+Dominic+Hurd+after+completing+their+test+set.%0APhoto+provided+by+Ian+Shiao.+
Sophomore Ian Shiao and Freshman Dominic Hurd after completing their test set. Photo provided by Ian Shiao.

Splashing into the new swim season has been quite the transition for the D51 Griffins, the Grand Valley’s boys swim team. Students from Palisade, Grand Junction, Fruita, and Central recently united to foster team spirit and collaboration in their first meet. 

On March 2nd, the Griffins held their season opener bright and early, at 10 a.m. Each swimmer took careful time to warm up in order to perform their best. Considering all the new talent the Griffins gained, this season is bound to bubble with success. 

Sophomore Ian Shiao has been swimming since seventh grade and this is his second year as a Griffin. He expresses his hopes for the new season, “Talking to and congratulating the freshman and new swimmers is pretty cool. The best part is collaborating and congratulating them. I get to be more of a guide this year.”

Four events is the typical load for each athlete. Shiao competed in the 100 meter freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke, and 400 medley relay. “The first event of the meet was a 100 meter freestyle relay, which is not usually in traditional meets. I was the first person to swim,” explains Shiao.

“I think I did pretty good. Obviously not as good as last year but it’s only the first meet.” Fresh starts are often the greatest time to grow as an athlete, especially in a team sport. Adjusting to new teammates, coaches, equipment, and skill levels are bound to impact an individual. Persistence is key and our Bulldogs know how to do just that. “There’s a lot to improve on during this season and I’m ready for it,” Shiao expresses.