Female Athlete of the Week: Emily Hardin

Emily Hardin doing what she loves. Photo provided by Emily.

Palisade Sophomore, Emily Hardin, is the female Athlete of Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Hardin is a swimmer and has been for a while. It wasn’t until last year when she started swimming competitively. “My whole life I’ve loved to swim and I have always been in the pool,” said Hardin. “Last year, I was originally going to do basketball, but then the day before tryouts, I realized that maybe it wasn’t the sport for me. It was too hard on my body, especially my knees. I decided to try something new, which was swimming.” Over the years, Hardin has developed a true love for swimming. “One of my favorite things about swimming is how relaxing it can be. I love the feel of the water and I feel like it can be a very tranquil and relaxing experience. It’s always fun to change your technique and to always be focused on how to get better.” 

Having only started swimming competitively last year, Hardin has been encouraged by many different swimmers. “I don’t just have one big inspiration, but I am inspired to embody qualities that a lot of different people have. I think it’s very admirable when people are always working their hardest and being an encouragement to everyone.” Hardin has seen growth within her sport, as well as her aspiration to get better. “I am happy with the way I’ve worked hard and gotten better at different events, as well as being a more integral part of relays and qualifying for two individual events this year.” For any new athlete who is embracing swimming, Hardin would say: “Don’t worry so much about your times, but just more of how your races and strokes feel so that you won’t get overwhelmed.” Hardin’s growth and dedication sets a pathway for younger, and even older swimmers to put forth their best. Congratulations, Emily Hardin, on Athlete of the Week!

Really focus on the quality of each practice.

— Emily Hardin