Southern California Floods

Jonathan Vazquez
Alan Rocha reaction to floods

Here in Mesa County, we have had very few rainy days so many of us couldn’t imagine floods occurring here but on the fourth of February in Los Angeles that is exactly what happened. All across southern California was under flash flood warnings including Los Angeles home to over 12 million people.

In February the amount of rain accumulated had been around five to ten inches with more expected which easily set a record in the area. According to authorities, 3 people have been killed due to falling trees, and 16 people and five cats have been rescued from debris. The weather analysts have predicted that the weather will die down later in the week however if things were not bad enough there is a chance for a tornado to form in the San Diego area.

One major problem that has been brought up is the question about the homeless population in the Los Angeles metropolitan area which is around 75000 larger than Grand Junction’s population. Already 2 homeless people have been caught up by the floods but were rescued in time. 

Dane Morrison A junior at Palisade High School who has been in a tornado incident before said “it’s terrible for them and they need help” Like in any other natural disaster the state has set up assistance for the essentials like food and water but they have not said anything about repairing or giving money to those affected by the floods.

We Hope the best for the people who are affected by the floods in southern California and hope for a quick recovery of damaged property and houses as well as give out condolences for the families that lost family members in the storms.