Diving In; Preparing for State

Emily Hardin in lane four preparing to dominate the competition. Photo provided by Emily Hardin

Girls Swim has had quite the successful season so far, with many Bulldogs and Tigers qualifying for the upcoming state tournament. Last Saturday at CMU, twelve teams from all over Colorado gathered to showcase their skills and overcome challenges.

Sophomore Emily Hardin has been a superstar swimmer since eighth grade. Her performance this past weekend did not fail to impress. Hardin competed in the 50 free, 100 backstroke, and played a part in two relays; the 200 free and 400 free. Smoothly traveling through the water, Hardin proved her dedication to this bubbly sport. “In the 50 free, I qualified for State with .03 seconds,” exclaims Hardin. Qualifying for State is both challenging and validating as an athlete. Hardin expresses, “It was a good race. I feel very relieved and excited.” 

“I got fourth overall. However, I have pinpointed some things I need to work on, just minor adjustments I have to work on. These next few races leading up to conference will help me improve my skills,” explains Hardin.

The competition was fierce and full of good vibrations. However, the girls cheered on their teammates and supported each other. “The environment was fun! There were more teams than usual, so it felt like there was more energy. The team spirit was really good,” said Hardin.

Palisade Senior Abby Price, Palisade Junior Elli Dorr, Grand Junction Junior Kylie Mull, and Emily Hardin worked together to win in the 200 free relay. The swimmers gave it their all and it certainly worked in their favor. The four placed second overall. The 200 free became the second relay the team qualified for State in. Hardin admits, “I don’t think it’s our strongest event but everyone cut down time and did really well.”

Even though Hardin has secured a spot to State, she continues to push herself. “In the 100 backstroke I cut down time. Currently, I am two seconds from state. I want to continue to cut down time and pursue that.” Striving for excellence is what reflects the girls swim team this year. 

This Friday, the girls will be going against Montrose. On Saturday, there is a meet against Glenwood. Conference is the final stretch before State on February 7th. Bulldogs, make sure to support the girls swim team!