Navigating Winter on I-70

I-70+Westbound
Rosemary Surroz
I-70 Westbound

Winter on I-70 unveils a snowy adventure, blending scenic beauty with unpredictable challenges. Palisade High School Junior, Erica King, sheds light on the unique dynamics of navigating I-70 during the winter months.

Traffic incidents on I-70 can disrupt the smooth flow of winter travel. Erica observes, “One minute you’re cruising, next thing you know, traffic’s a mess ’cause of some road thing.” These incidents, ranging from flat tires to more serious situations like semi-rollover crashes, can result in significant delays or even interstate closures.

Acknowledging the efforts of the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), Erica notes, “The highway folks, CDOT? They’ve got some cool moves.” She highlights the effectiveness of snowplow escorts, resembling mini parades on the highway. “It’s like a mini parade on the highway, but it makes the roads way safer. They really know how to keep things moving,” she remarks.

Ramp management on eastbound I-70 stands out for Erica as a strategic approach to keeping traffic flowing through the Eisenhower Tunnel. “Hand it to them for managing those ramps. Keeps the traffic flowing, and you don’t get stuck in those annoying jams,” she comments. CDOT’s measures contribute to a smoother journey, especially in areas prone to congestion.

About closing down eastbound I-70 to big trucks at Dotsero during sketchy conditions Erica said, “Safety first, man. We all wanna get places, but not if it’s gonna be a big risk,” she emphasizes. This precautionary measure is enacted when road conditions and traffic volumes suggest a potential public safety emergency.

The emphasis on clearing incidents resonates with Erica. “‘Cool they’re doing that. The faster they clear stuff, the less time we’re stuck, you know? More time vibing with winter,” she notes. Reducing incident clearance times is pivotal in ensuring a more reliable and enjoyable winter travel experience on I-70.

The blend of scenic beauty and potential challenges underscores the importance of proactive measures by CDOT to enhance safety and reliability for all travelers on this iconic highway.