Finally Diving Into Swim Season

Lili Taylor, Delaney Brinkly, and Lexi Taylor at their meet. Photo provided by: Lexi Taylor

We’re jumping right into swim season with a big splash and lots of excitement. The Bulldog-Tiger team competed in their first meet this past Saturday, December 2nd, at Colorado Mesa University. 

Our combined team competed against the Fruita Wildcats, the Aspen Skiers, the Gunnison Cowboys,  the Delta Panthers, Durango Demons, Glenwood Springs Devils, Montrose Red Hawks, and the Summit Tigers, swimming their hardest to place high and start off their season on a win. And they did just that, placing second out nine teams. 

Our team this year has a lot of new swimmers, starting the sport for extra involvement during the winter season. Riley O’Hara is a Sophomore here at Palisade with swimming lessons when she was little as her only swimming experience. O’Hara explained that she was nervous going into this season, but the community of the team subsided those worries. “The team is a really good and welcoming community, and they were super nice to me starting for my first year. Even if you do really badly on a work out or meet, even if it was relays, it’s not a sport where people aren’t supportive.” O’Hara explains. 

This season has five new swimmers from Palisade, including O’Hara, Sophomores Lili and Lexi Taylor, Junior Delaney Brinkly, and Senior Raeley Branson. “I think for their first time ever swimming the new players are pretty good and have been making good improvements so early on in the season,” says Sophomore Emily Hardin. Hardin has been on the team for the two years and competes primarily during varsity meets. 

The girls got off to a great start so far this season and have been training heavily for endurance, speed and form every day of the week. The girls shuffle between practices at Orchard Mesa Middle School, and CMU, which gives them an advantage competing on their home turf so often. 

Good job this meet swimmers, and good luck at your next meet tomorrow at Delta!