Israel: Today’s latest

Israel+map+throughout+the+years+%0APhoto+Provided+by%3A+Emily+Hardin+
Israel map throughout the years Photo Provided by: Emily Hardin

On October 7, the first attack on Gaza changed Palestinians’ and Israelites’ lives forever, striking controversy not only on a local scale but globally. Many places around the world are trying to boycott companies that support Israel or Palestine. Mr. Korte, a history teacher at Palisade High School explains what he’s heard in recent days. Korte states, “In the last couple weeks, the most recent event has been a temporary ceasefire fire, and that allowed for some of the hostages to be released from Hamas and in exchange Israel released some people they had in Israeli prisons as well. I think that has been a change however that ceasefire fire has now ended and the conflict has now resumed from my understanding, the conflict has resumed kind of further south in Gaza as the Israeli defense force has looked to target Hamas strongholds in the south.” At the beginning of this conflict, it appeared that the conflict was focused on northern Gaza which was seen as a Hamas stronghold. However, recently that focus has decreased as the Israeli defense force has been able to control bigger parts of the north and with that, they have been targeting strongholds in the south. Korte explains, “I think the biggest way this conflict differs from previous conflicts is the starting event of October 7th. The event of October 7th was the worst day of death for Jewish people since the holocaust.” It was one of the worst days for catastrophe and violence for Israel since the creation of the nation.” This war has not only been devastating for society as a whole but specifically the children in which the 2023-2024 school year was declared as done because the death toll of children was too high. Korte, says, “I think the long-term trauma and impacts on children on both sides of the conflict are going to be horrific. Thousands of people have been displaced in Israel and that disrupts the education of kids, disrupting family life, as well as many other things. In key developmental ages, many children are having their routines and patterns upset and I’m sure that going to have long-term effects not only on learning but generational trauma.” This conflict has caused undoubted disruption to so many families however it is hopeful from local and global communities that this devastating war will soon cease.