Fourth Time Regional Champs

Sabrina Landman playing at regionals.

Not once, not twice, not even three times, but for the fourth year in a row our spirited, gritty, and incredible volleyball team has won regionals, and qualified for the state championship. This past Saturday, November 4th, the Bulldogs won their four-time regional champ title on their own home turf, playing at Palisade High School at 10:00 am against the Falcon High School Falcons and 2:00 pm against the Durango High School Demons. 

The Falcons didn’t stand a chance against our vicious Bulldogs ending each of the sets a fraction of the Bulldogs points. The second set our team crushed them 25-5, and the other two sets weren’t looking much better for the Falcons. The game ended in an easy win for Palisade, ending 3-0. 

After a solid win against the Falcons, our Dogs were ready to take on the Durango Demons. Though they put up a little more of a fight, ending the first two sets very close, the final set they clearly realized they met their maker, accepting defeat with a score of 13-25. The Bulldogs ended another game 3-0, qualifying them for the State Championship.

This season, we had two seniors and an incredible pack of juniors to help our underclassmen have chances to play. Lili Taylor, a sophomore playing as a D.S. libero was able to play a rotation at the regional competition this year. Taylor plays JV and swings varsity. She has been playing volleyball since her seventh grade year of middle school, going from a Mount Garfield Gator to a Bulldog. “I was so excited to play at regionals this year. I was a little nervous but mostly excited. It was so fun and a really good experience for me.” Taylor says. “I’m super excited to cheer on the rest of our team at state!” 

The team has had an exceptional season going 20-5 and 9-1 in the league. The season has been filled with hard work and determination. As they prepare for State, reflecting on their achievements is important. The team’s success can be attributed to their strong foundation of teamwork and support for one another. They had to overcome setbacks making them stronger and making them grow as a team. Throughout the season they have created unforgettable memories, from thrilling victories to heartwarming displays of sportsmanship.

Dan Bollinger, Principal of PHS said “I’m proud of these girls. They have done this for four years now, and that’s hard to do. They have always kept their momentum and they always get back up.” The volleyball team has the school behind them and we’re extremely proud of their accomplishments.

We talked to Wendy MacAskill volleyball coach and she said “The volleyball season has gone very well, we’ve worked hard and won some key matches to allow us to go back to state this year. Each year that we’ve gone we have gotten to learn more about the competition and the level that we need to play at, we’re going to bring out games and we’re going to get some wins.” We also asked her about her favorite memory during the season and this is what she had to say “Winning regionals in our home court was an exciting time because they were able to celebrate with their friends and family it was awesome!”

As they embark on their journey to the state championships, they carry the memories and experiences that have shaped them into a formidable team. Regardless of the outcome, their journey has already been a triumph, making their community proud.