Softball: All out, all the time

Softball team before game Photo Provided by: Elizabeth Fleming

This past weekend, the Palisade Softball team headed to Loveland, Colorado to participate in a tournament playing four games and taking home three wins. The Palisade softball team has a history of being successful, making it to the playoffs. Having lost six crucial seniors last year, the team was in for a hard season of development and rebuilding. Elizabeth Fleming, a Sophomore on the team says, “I think the team chemistry is interesting. We are definitely a younger team So there are a lot more underclassmen than upperclassmen. But we all get along very well and I think we have a closer team dynamic this year than last year so we’re all kind of better friends which is nice.” A large portion of the girls on the softball team have played club together which makes for better teamwork and connection. Fleming explains, “We only have three seniors so leadership has to fall on whoever wants to fill those shoes. Last year, with how many seniors we had, they ran that team. So now, there is a bit of a gap of who wants to take the opportunity of the leadership and have a role with more authority.”  The team is only made up of nineteen girls which is seven fewer players than they had last year. This results in many girls having to play positions that they have never played before and playing both JV and Varsity. Although there are a few girls, the team doesn’t let that stop them from being the best they can be. Their overall record is 9-5 and in the league, they are 1-1. Fleming says, “I am looking forward to not only this season but in general the future of the team and how this year’s freshmen develop and how good the team dynamic will get towards the end of the season. We have talent, we just have to learn to play together so I’m eager to see how to improve with that.” Fleming explains how she has hope the team will make it to the playoffs which take place October 13th in Pueblo. The Palisade Softball team has a long road ahead of them but will continue to stay motivated and strive for excellence.