Female Athlete of the Week: Kate Fricke

Kate Fricke doing her thing. Photo provided by Kate.

Palisade Sophomore, Kate Fricke, is the female Athlete of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Fricke is a soccer player and has been playing for 11 years now. She is a varsity starter this year and plays forward and outside midfield. Fricke was first drawn to soccer through the following of her older sister’s footsteps. “My sister started playing soccer when she was young and I followed her and ended up sticking with it,” said Fricke. Throughout those 11 years of playing soccer, Fricke has developed a love for it. “I love the culture and competition that comes with soccer, as well as playing the sport itself.” 

As a starter on varsity, Fricke has made many contributions to the team. “I feel like I contribute to the team by the opportunities I create for others and myself,” said Fricke. “My speed and leadership also help the team out.” With the help of those around her, Fricke has been able to develop skills that positively impact the team. “My biggest inspiration are the people around me,” said Fricke. “There are little things in everyone that I look up to.” The support she has received has helped her do amazing things as an athlete. “My greatest accomplishment is trying two sports freshman year and playing varsity for both,” said Fricke. From experience, Fricke would like to share with any athlete: “Trust in yourself and your skills. What happens Freshman year doesn’t determine the rest of your high school career. Have confidence and the ability to compete with yourself and others while holding yourself to a realistic standard.” Fricke’s leadership on and off the field proves her hard work ethic and dedication. Congratulations Kate on Athlete of the Week!