Female Athlete of the Week: Lyla Lancaster

Lyla Lancaster focused in the game. Photo provided by Lyla.

Palisade Sophomore, Lyla Lancaster, is the female Athlete of Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Lancaster is an amazing three sport athlete in volleyball, basketball, and golf. She has been playing all three sports her first two years here at Palisade High School. “I started playing basketball in second grade,” said Lancaster. “My mom saw that all of my friends were playing basketball and decided to sign me up.” In basketball, Lancaster plays guard. She brings a lot to the team as her skill is “stronger on the defensive side,” says Lancaster.

Over the years, Lancaster has truly come to love the sport. “My favorite thing about basketball are the people. Not only are our relationships strong in basketball, but they are also strong outside of basketball,” said Lancaster. Having a strong team foundation is crucial in sports, and this is something that Lancaster has seen and has come to love about basketball. Not only has she built strong relationships with friends in basketball, but Lancaster has also benefited from deep-rooted family relationships. “One of my biggest inspirations is my sister,” said Lancaster. “She is graduating this year and has played basketball all four years. She has just done really well throughout the years.” The support Lancaster has received from friends and family has helped her to accomplish so much in basketball. “My biggest accomplishment has been receiving honorable mention both Freshman and Sophomore year,” said Lancaster. The skill and dedication Lancaster brings to the sport and her teammates is inspiring to those around her. Congratulations on Athlete of the Week Lyla!

Have confidence in yourself and don’t be scared.

— Lyla Lancaster