Male Athlete of the Week: Hank Deford

Hank Running at the beginning of the season 
Picture By: Salley Deford
Hank Running at the beginning of the season Picture By: Salley Deford

Palisade sophomore, Hank Deford, is the Male Athlete of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Hank races in cross country. “ I do cross country during fall and track during spring but I like Track more.” This is Hank’s first year doing cross country and he said “I love Track and that’s what inspired me to do cross country. I also couldn’t do it last year because I was in the mountain bike team but I’m glad I did it this year.” Cross country is a different type of sport. “Running with your friends and having a good environment is what makes this sport fun.” You’re competing against yourself all the time as you’re constantly trying to get a better personal record. “We all race together, it could be from 50 to 300 people and there are two races, one for boys and one for girls.” His commitment to his sport cross country is evident in his consistent performance and dedication to improving his skills. Hank mentioned what he liked to do outside of school he said, “I like art and Mountain Biking. I’m big into climbing.” His exceptional running abilities, leadership qualities, and positive attitude make him a standout at cross country. “My biggest inspiration is watching Olympic runners, and seeing what they can do is amazing. Another inspiration that I have was Zenon Reece because he is what got me into cross country.”  His outstanding performances this season have earned him Athlete of the Week. His achievements serve as a testament to his hard work and dedication. “You need to be consistent and be dedicated to the sport. Make sure you love the sport because if not it’s going to be hard for you.” ‘We are proud to honor Hank Deford as our Male Athlete of the Week, and we eagerly anticipate his future accomplishments.