Female Athlete of the Week: Mackenzie Gray

Mackenzie Gray in action as she pitches. Photo taken by @jhenchicken1

Palisade sophomore, MacKenzie Gray, is the female Athlete of the Week brought to you by Palisade Dino Mart. Gray is a three sport athlete. She plays softball in the fall, wrestles in the winter and runs track in the spring. In softball she is a pitcher and an outfielder. “I have been playing softball for 8 almost 9 years now,” said Gray. “I originally started playing softball because of my older sister.” Gray shared her love for the sport and said, “My favorite thing about softball is that 80% of the game is mental and only 20% of it is physical. There’s so much to the game and you can always learn something new and that’s what I love about it.”
Outside of sports and school Gray talked about her other enjoyments. “I like to go for runs, go on hikes, and I love little road trips.” Being a three sport athlete in high school can be challenging. “My biggest inspiration would be my mom or my twin sister,” said Gray. “They both do so much for me and everything I do, I do for them. Without them I don’t know where I would be.” Inside of softball, Gray talked about her successes. “My biggest accomplishment so far would either be my homerun, pitching a no hitter during a travel ball tournament or the Montrose game this season with 12 strikeouts. No walks and 2 earned runs.” Gray’s advice she would give to an incoming freshman athlete is: “Take every opportunity given to you and don’t let 1 bad experience ruin something you love.” Gray’s hard work and dedication is an inspiration to us all. Congratulations MacKenzie Gray on Athlete of the Week!